Industrial Packaging for Critical Contents

Drum It Up! Steel Drum Industry News, Trends, and Issues

Be Prepared If Dot Enforcement Knocks On Your Door

November 5th, 2002 by Karen Powell

Filed under: DOT/UN

The Hazardous Materials Enforcement division of DOT claims that they do not randomly select their inspection locations. About 97% are the result of an employee complaint. The remaining 3% are the result of prior incident history or the level of risk the company poses to safety. Inspectors look closely at Hazard Communications, Packaging Requirements, Packaging Selection and Self-Certification. Specifically, for non-bulk Packaging Requirements, DOT looks for packagings manufactured prior to 1 October 1994, UN tested and certified packagings, DOT specification packagings for gases, and specification packagings for bulk. Any of the SKOLNIK Engineering, Technical, or Sales staff is available to answer questions regarding container compliance.

Share on Facebook

Leave a Reply