Industrial Packaging for Critical Contents

Drum It Up! Steel Drum Industry News, Trends, and Issues

Is It A Salvage Drum Or An Overpack?

September 7th, 1999 by Howard Skolnik

Filed under: DOT/UN, Salvage Drum

Many Skolnik customers call in search of Salvage Drums or Overpacks, and thanks to our sales staff awareness, we are able to discern exactly which type of container these customers really need. In fact, the difference between a Salvage Drum and and Overpack is based on the regulated usage of the package, even though they may appear similar in size. Per CFR 171.8. An Overpack is "an enclosure used by a single consignor to provide protection or convenience in the handling of a package or to consolidate two or more packages". Whereas a Salvage Drum (Packaging) "means a special packaging conforming to CFR 173.3 into which damaged, defective or leaking hazardous materials packages, or hazardous materials that have spilled or leaked, are placed for purposes of transport for recovery or disposal." Salvage Drums are not regulated as primary packages, whereas an Overpack can be a component of a UN certified primary package.

Share on Facebook

Leave a Reply